12 February 2013

Chapter 28: Echelon

"Mom? You used to have blue hair? Who's this guy in the photo? He looks like me."

I heard Echelon calling for me from my bedroom. He had grown into a handsome young man, with his father's pink eyes and blonde hair. I loved talking to him because it was like I was talking to a bit of Austin. I went into the room and motioned for Echelon to sit on the bed with me.


"Come here, Echelon. We should talk. That guy is Austin Meringue. He is your father. We were in love. One day he got into an accident and disappeared. I have been trying to find him."


"Wow. So is he still alive somewhere? And he was a firefighter?"


"Yes, Echelon, to both of your questions. I hope one day you will get to meet him. He is a very good man, very loving and understanding. I am determined to find him."


"Mom, you sound like you are still in love with him. I hope I can find a love as strong as that someday."

"You are right. I am still in love with him. Very much so. It's my hope that we can be together again soon."


"I admire your positive thinking, Mom. I can tell your life isn't easy, but you are always pushing yourself through it. I heard you throwing up this morning and all night, yet you are still here making time for me. You are the best."

My children seem to inherit a sixth sense. They know I'm going through shit, but they still know I love them. Our family also doesn't hide stuff much. We just kind of throw it all out there. I think it's because I have so many secrets in my past that are messing with me that I tend not to beat around the bush. I want my children to grow up and live interesting lives of their own without having to dwell on the past.



My conversation with Mom earlier today got me thinking. I hoped Dad was okay, wherever he was. My family life has always been a little weird, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My mom is great. She really does amaze me how strong she can be even when she doesn't feel good. I can't help but think she's sad inside though, like deep down in her soul, she's sad. She puts on a happy face and I know she's trying to make it through each and every day, but I think it's hard for her.


Berry, it's 7pm. I should go home. It was so cool of Mom to teach me how to ride her Simcati. While she was pregnant, she said she couldn't ride it, but she still wanted it to be taken out often. Maybe she'll have time to teach me how to drive too.



"Echelon? Did you not enjoy your motorcycle ride? You look unhappy. Are you all right?"


"The motorcycle ride was great! I'm just thinking about Dad... and you. I really hope you can find him. I want you to be happy. Even though I never met him, I miss him. It's a weird feeling."


"Oh Echelon. You're so much like your father. Thanks for caring about me so much. I will find him. Now don't you worry about me, okay?"

I gave Echelon a big hug, hoping that Austin would be able to come back someday.


6 comments:

  1. Aw, it was nice seeing a bit from Echelon's point of view.
    I'm happy Sicily has the love of her children, too, and that she's a good Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am totally writing Sicily as a good mom, even though she may not be the typical mother. I've seen other BCs where the mom is a complete jerk, but I didn't want Sicily to be that way. I wanted to do that part with Echelon since he's Austin's son. I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  2. Sicily is such a good mom. And you are right, the baby challenges I have read before this one seem to focus on abandonment and ignoring the children once they are popped out. I like this story is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. =D I figured just because a woman is promiscuous, doesn't mean she has to be a bad person.

      Delete
  3. It seems like Sicily can relate better to the kids once they're teens, and it makes perfect sense that she'd be especially close to Austin's son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sicily can definitely relate better to her teenage children, since she sometimes acts like a teenager with all of her sleeping around... LOL, just kidding, that's not really in her control. Austin's son made her feel a little less sad and depressed, so she really loves having him around. She also really enjoyed telling Echelon about his dad.

      Delete